Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Study Value In Portraits

1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing. 
First, what happened is that pictures were taken of the people in the class. Then, we went and chose a picture to draw randomly, afterwards, we traced the values of the picture on tracing paper. To transfer the value on the tracing paper to our sketch book, we coloured hard on the back of the tracing paper and then re-drew the lines into our sketchbook. Then, depending on the original picture, we shaded the sketchbook drawing to make it look realistic. That's pretty much how we made the final product.

2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait? How?
The difference between the light and dark values in the portrait, where the sun was shining or reflection off somewhere, or where the shadows crossed her face. Those lines in light/dark dictated where the values were diff rent. It depends all on the light and where the differences between the light and dark are.

3.Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?
With the drawn portrait, not really. I could have done better, because in what I drew; the hair and the skin under shadow are the same colour, but in real life it was diffrent. I tried to go really dark, but that looked really bad. Then I tried to make the differences in the face less severe, because the way they looked wasn't looking good, but in the end, the values in the face were sort-of all monotone.  

4. Describe your craftsmanship.Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly? 
Neatly? Sure, I guess. I don't think it's one of my better drawings, but that's because I am not good at drawing portraits. It's all neatly contained in the outline of her head, and all the values correspond almost the same, if not in a lighter shade of the color. It's like, there was a whole range of values, but not as dark shaded as the ones in the pictures where.But I do believe that I did what the project meant for us to do.

5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.
I had the obstacle of what shade to do. It's not so much the shapes of the value, or the tracing and re-tracing, that was easy. It's more like I had a hard time of making sure that I didn't go too dark too fast, (I did that the first time and then I started over), but I had to make sure that I stayed true to the values in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment